Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What's your creed?

Chad Sowash
Guest Blogger

Can you imagine walking into work on your first day and being asked to memorize the company's creed? Creed? Yea, you know strong belief systems of which the company was predicated.

Where am I getting this crazy notion? Well, one of the very first items a new trainee must learn and memorize when arriving at the Fort Benning Reception Battalion, even before officially starting Basic Training, is The Soldier's Creed.

Here's how it goes ...

I am an American Soldier.

I am a Warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values.

I will always place the mission first.

I will never accept defeat.

I will never quit.

I will never leave a fallen comrade.

I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills. I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.

I am an expert and I am a professional.

I stand ready to deploy, engage, and DESTROY the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.

I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

I am an American Soldier. HOOAH!

On the very first day this creed helps trainees (employees) understand what they must do to become a professional Soldier in the United State Army. This creed is more than just a belief for it is a way of living, which includes expectations for all Soldiers to live by after basic training, in combat or even after leaving the military completely.

What's your company creed? Better yet… What's your personal creed?


* Sowash is vice president of Business Development for DirectEmployers Association, an Employer Partner through the Army Reserve's Employer Partnership Initiative. You can check out his column the Chad for more on why employers should hire employees with military experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment